Far less than meets the eye

My photo
Ecumenism is the Universal Solvent of Tradition .

Traditional vs Modern thoughts abut death






Preparation for death

My journey toward eternity, dear Lord, is encompassed round about by powerful enemies of my soul. I live in fear and trembling, especially at the thought of the hour of death, on which my eternity will depend, and of the fearful struggle that the devil will then have to wage against me, knowing that little time is left for him to accomplish my eternal ruin. I desire, therefore, O Lord, to prepare myself for it from this hour, by offering Thee this day, in view of my last hour, those protestations of faith and love for Thee, which are so effectual in repressing and bringing to naught all the crafty and wicked arts of the enemy and which I resolve to oppose to him at that moment of such grave consequence, even though he should dare alone to attack with his deceits the peace and tranquillity of my spirit.

I, (name) , in the presence of the Most Holy Trinity, the blessed Virgin Mary, my holy Guardian Angel and the entire heavenly host, protest that I wish to live and die under the standard of the Holy Cross. I firmly believe all that our Holy Mother, the Catholic and Apostolic Roman Church, believes and teaches. It is my steadfast intention to die in this holy faith, in which all the holy Martyrs, Confessors and Virgins of Christ have died, as well as all those who have saved their souls. If the devil should tempt me to despair because of the multitude and grievousness of my sins, I protest that from this day forth I firmly hope in the infinite mercy of God, who will not suffer Himself to be overcome by my sins, and in the Precious Blood of Jesus which has washed them all away.

If the devil should assail me with temptations to presumption by reason of the small amount of good which by the help of God I may have been able to accomplish, I confess from this day forth that I deserve Hell a thousand times by my sins and I entrust myself wholly to the infinite goodness of God, through Whose grace alone I am what I am.

Finally, if the evil spirit should suggest to me that the pains inflicted upon me by our Lord in that last hour of my life are too heavy to bear, I protest now that all will be as nothing in comparison with the punishments I have deserved throughout life. I thank God that He should deign to give me by these sufferings an opportunity in this life to discharge my debt to Him, which I should have to pay hereafter in the pains of Purgatory.

In the bitterness of my soul I call to remembrance all my years; I see my iniquities, I confess them and detest them. Ashamed and sorrowful I turn to Thee, my God, my Creator and my Redeemer. Forgive me, O Lord, by the multitude of Thy mercies; forgive Thy servant whom Thou hast redeemed by Thy Precious Blood.

My God, I turn to Thee, I call upon Thee, I trust in Thee; to Thine infinite goodness I commit the entire reckoning of my life. I have sinned exceedingly; enter not into judgment with Thy servant, who surrenders to Thee and confesses his guilt. Of myself I cannot make satisfaction unto Thee for my countless sins: I have not wherewith to pay Thee, and my debt is infinite. But Thy Son hath shed His Blood for me, and greater than all mine iniquity is Thy mercy.

O Jesus, be my Saviour! At the hour of my fearful crossing to eternity put to flight the enemy of my soul; grant me grace to overcome every difficulty, Thou who alone doest mighty wonders.

Lord, according to the multitude of Thy tender mercies I shall enter into Thy dwelling place. Trusting in Thy pity, I commend my spirit into Thy hands!


May the Blessed Virgin Mary and my Guardian Angel accompany my soul into the heavenly country. Amen. 

Modern man's thoughts about death are summarised in the modern heresy of universal salvation.

If you have had to go to any funeral in the last fifty years, you are likely to have heard the priest, deacon, preacher, minister, family friend etc say something similar to this:  We are all going to miss old Joe; God called him home long before we would have wanted God to call him home but Joe has been called home and he is in a much better place now...

Not only do all dogs go to Heaven, all men supposedly do also and about Heaven what does modern man think?

Most think it will be a continuation of his life here only it will be the best part of his life on earth extended into infinity and so for some men, Heaven will be a series of gorgeous fishing lakes or an impossibly beautiful golf course or beautiful mountains one can ski forever or an endless series of classical concerts by the greatest orchestra one could imagine and all of those activities will be eternally performed by man in his full bloom of health.

That is, modern man is a materialist little different than what he thought the injuns were all about and so modern man's eschatology is, ultimately, the materialist idea he used to attribute to injuns.